Thursday, July 3, 2008

Maher Arar - Victim of US Extraordinary Rendition

Extraordinary Rendition is the US Government's practice of abducting an individual and flying them illegally and secretly to detention centers outside of US territory, known as black sites. These individuals are often tortured and held for indefinite amounts of time. The government does not notify their families and their loved ones are left to guess at their location and their captors. This practice was instituted under the Clinton administration but it was in use even before that time.
Maher Arar is one man who has lived through and managed to be released from this terrifying experience.

This is a short message from him that is included on site dedicated to his story: "It was four years ago that the horrible ordeal I suffered first began. People ask me repeatedly how, during this time, I have been able to cope with the stress of surviving torture, the stress of not being able to find a job, the stress endured at the inquiry, and the stress from the countless hours I spend doing media interviews and talking to my lawyers on the phone. The answers are simple: I draw my strength from my faith; from my loving, caring, strong wife; and from the support and generosity I have received from Canadians. I have rediscovered Canada through its people, people who made me feel proud of being Canadian.

To learn more about what happened to Arar click on his name in the first paragraph.

Also, there is an incredible film that came out within the last two years called Rendition. It stars Reese Witherspoon, Jake Gyllenhaal, Meryl Streep, Peter Sarsgaard and Alan Arkin. The film follows the story of a man who was abducted through extraordinary rendition.

Roger Ebert wrote this on September 8th, 2007 about the film:

TORONTO, Ont. – It’s not often you see films that are perfect. I have just seen two of them here at the Toronto Film Festival, and two others that are extraordinary, and a documentary that is spellbinding. Do I love everything? Not at all. I just happened to have an ecstatic period of moviegoing, that’s all, and that’s enough.

There is no ranking perfection, so I will discuss the perfect films in alphabetical order. The first is “No Country for Old Men,” by the Coen brothers, and the second is “Rendition” by Gavin Hood. The Coens are among our national treasures. Gavin Hood, at 44, was the South African director of “Tsotsi,” the masterpiece which won the Oscar for best foreign film of 2005." (Full Article)

Let it be noted that he ranked Rendition as equally "perfect" as No Country For Old Men which won four Oscars and 85 other awards in various award shows around the world.

It is a great film that should be seen. Unfortunately there is no indication at the end of the film that the story is based upon TRUE EVENTS. Please note this - Extraordinary Rendition really happens and is happening right now. See the movie and if you feel so inclined, spread the word.

No comments: